Oral hygiene is often an overlooked aspect of general health. But, it is indeed a significant part, be it for a pet or the pet owner. There is a universal adage Prevention is better than cure, which holds true in oral care too. Sooner the better.. Your canine’s teeth need proper cleaning. Their gum needs to be checked. An efficient dental care regime saves your pet from diseases and keeps a check on the spread of the present diseases.
About 85% of dogs suffer from some periodontal disease by the age of 4. Do not take the lousy breath leniently. It may be the symptom of periodontal disease. The teeth may loosen at the advanced level of infection. Several symptoms will guesstimate some health problem. God forbid you to see following 10 signs in your pet-
- Bad breath, fouler than a food smell
- Swollen and red gums or bleeding gums
- Loss of appetite or food dripping is observed
- Yellowing of teeth may be a pre-cursor of tooth decay
- Loose teeth
- Lean his head on one side
- Repeated pawing at their mouth
- Abscess in mouth
- Misaligned teeth
- Cleft Palate
The above symptoms demand your attention as they are warning for the need for dental care and needs to be cautious.
Pet dental health in dogs
- These pet dental health facts make you aware of the importance of having a regular cleaning for your pet’s teeth. And, not to forget the routine oral check-up by a veterinarian.
- Up to 2/3 of dog’s teeth lies beneath the gum line. In that case visit to a vet, he may require anesthesia to perform a complete oral check.
- Sometimes an adult dog or cat doesn’t shed their baby teeth completely. This can lead to gum irritation and tartar. Dental check-up in pet clinic detects if your dog has more than 40 teeth or the cat has more than 30 teeth.
- You love shopping for your pooch. Before buying toys check for the liability. The dogs have a habit of taking anything in the mouth so avoid picking hard toys. Hard toys can damage the teeth of dogs.
Are dog teeth cleaning necessary?
Plague and tartar deposit on doggie teeth results in Halitosis. They may be in a lot of pain if not taken care of. At-home dental care routine minimizes the risk of costly invasive dental treatments. Brushing their teeth regularly save money and prevent many health problems. The technicians at the vet clinic will train you how to do that. These tips may help you-
- Gently lift the lips and let your pet feel comfortable to the touch of your fingers on his gums.
- Then, keep the toothbrush at an angle and slowly rub the brush on the teeth.
- Once he got familiar with the feeling, you can do brushing daily with ease. You may also bribe the pet with a treat held in your hand.
Dental problems may lead to adverse effect on dog’s organs, especially heart, kidney, or liver.
Dog dental care products
There are a lot of dental care things available for dogs. Specially designed finger brushes, gauze, soft-bristled toothbrushes, and cotton swabs are used to clean dogtooth. Get your pet accustomed to these products.
Pets are fans of flavors like we humans are. They love licking flavored toothpaste but keep them away from human toothpaste. Experts’ advice uses special Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic toothpaste for them. Other stuff like plaque spray, chew toy spray, and liquid is available for the oral care of dogs & cats.
Pets are like your extended family; they need care as human babies. People are crazy about them hence we find exclusive pet e-stores. These shops pile up a wide variety of quality healthcare items.
How often should you clean your dog’s teeth?
You need to brush and slosh every day then why your dog should not? Daily brushing with special dental care equipment is mandatory. Like humans undergo regular medical checkup regardless of having or having any problem the pet must be taken to the animal care specialist. The routine examination and teeth cleaning at the vet clinic is a good plan. In case deep cleaning for teeth is required, the vet technicians may help.
Do dogs need a dentist?
Yes, that’s why the need for a specialized Pet Dentistry course arise. Besides cleaning lot of oral care activities x-rays, dental treatments for cavities, tooth extraction, filing, etc. needs professional help. Veterinarians detect a dental problem really fast and treat soon so avoids it turning into serious health issues.